Writers workshop 3

Why Alex Ovechkin Is Better Than Sidney Crosby                  Jayden

Mr. Ewert

Dec.9

WW

If you do not already know who these people are, they are pro hockey players who play in the NHL. Alex Ovechkin is a Russian who plays for the Washington Capitals. He is most well known for his one-timer slapshot that usually hovers around the 100-105 mph mark. Sidney Crosby is a Canadian who plays for the Pittsburgh Penguins. He is most well known for his passing and he is really good at passing the puck into tight spaces.

The reason I like Alex more, is his playing style. He always tries to put the puck in the back of the net and help his team as much as possible. He has an insanely good shot, and he likes to lay big hits on people who skate with their head down. He is tough and does not let anyone knock him around.

Sidney on the other hand is more of a deker. I prefer shots over dekes any day. Crosby is cheap when he wants to go for the puck, he dives at the players feet and sweeps the puck away. I really don’t like his playing style.

One of the advantages that Alex has over Sidney is his one-timer slapshot and his shot in general. He takes a lot more shots and gets a lot more goals. Although Alex takes a lot of shots, it doesn’t mean he doesn’t pass. Alex has a career total of 706 goals and 572 assists to add up to a total of 1278 points! He is still quite a bit of points away from Gretzky’s record.

Sidney’s strength is his passing. He has really good edges which helps him in his passing so he can get passing lanes open to get the puck to his teammates. Sid has a total of 462 goals and 801 assists to add up to a total of 1263 points, only 15 less than Alex.

It is hard to judge who was better in their first years in the NHL, so I’ll have to say that it is a tie. Crosby was the named youngest captain ever, but then Connor McDavid took that title. Alex was also a really young captain and Alex and Sidney were both really good rookies.

They have both won so many trophies, so I won’t list them all. Some awards they have both won are the Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe, Rocket Richard and the Hart Memorial trophy. These are probably the most valuable awards you can be given in the NHL.

Both of their teams have been hovering around the top 5 teams in the league for the past few years and the best in their Metropolitan division. The Washington Capitals ended up in 5th last year and The Pittsburgh Penguins ended up in 7th. They both have really good teams to back them up, but they are by far the best players on their teams.

This is why Alex is better than Sidney. If you didn’t think that before, I’m sure you do now! Everybody thinks Alex is overrated but if you look at his stats, you will see that he is definitely a great player and deserves lots of credit for all the achievements he has reached.

One thought on “Writers workshop 3”